BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 16, 2012

Lights - The Listening


Artist: Lights
Album: The Listening
Release Date: September 22, 2009
Genre: Sythpop, electropop, indie pop, new wave

 

After reviewing the Lights album from 2011, I ended up going to one of their concerts, and it was one of the best concerts I’ve been to in a long time!  I was inspired to get their previous album from 2009, which turned out to also be awesome.

Some observations from the concert:
Lights is actually a lot more popular than I thought. 
I also felt a little out of place not being a hipster. 
Most in the audience seemed to fall in the 15-30 age range (with the exception of teenagers accompanied by their baby boomer parents).

Anyway, back to this album.  Again, I think Lights has music that is both non-specific and very relatable.  I would only list a few songs that would be usable for therapy (I’m desperately trying to make these blogs shorter!), but in fact, I really think almost every song this album could be appropriate for therapeutic use, depending on who you are working with.  Thus, this will be another long blog.

[The format:

A. Is the general tone of the song positive or negative?
B. Are there obvious triggering words/themes in the song? 
C. Mention of violence/drugs/sexual content?  Language not acceptable at some facilities?
D. Religions or politics in song?
E. Are there any positive/possible therapeutic themes in the song?]

1. Savior
A. neutral
B. nothing obvious
C. none
D. Clearly, this song has some religious elements in it!  However, I would really mark it as something more spiritual than religious as the most specific words in the song are “Sooner or later I’ll need a savior”.
E. I think this song would be best for self-expression.  The chorus of the song really seems to speak to feeling stuck: “I just wanna run to you/ and break off the chains/ and throw them away/ I just wanna be so much/ and shake off the dust/ that turn me to rust/ sooner than later, I'll need a savior/ I need a savior”.

2. Drive My Soul
A. neutral
B. “now the road is a mine field” – possibly triggering for veterans?  Victims of violence?
C. none
D. seems like there are spiritual elements in the song, but nothing specific
E. I would probably not use this song for discussion in therapy, although it could certainly be used for self-expression.  Here’s the chorus: “When you are gone/ Will I lose control?/ You're the only road I know/ You show me where to go/ Who will drive me soul?”

3. River
A. neutral
B. “put me in the undertow” in chorus, “burn” in 1st verse
C. none
D. There are possibly some spiritual elements in the song, but again, nothing specific.
E. This could be a song for a discussion about dealing with the changing world.  Here are some lyrics from the 1st verse: “And trees losing their leaves, and our faces becoming tired/ I wish I could discover something that doesn't expire”, and from the bridge: “I want to know where you're going, a follower following/ Changing but never changed, claiming but never claimed”.

4. The Listening
A. negative
B. none
C. none
D. none
E. I think this song could be interesting for discussion as well.  It could good for discussing both frustration from being unable to find the rights words to for self-expression and wishing to take back what had been said.  Here are some lines from the song: “I never really ever know what to say/ When all of my emotions get in the way/ I'm just trying to get us on the same page (Wish I could explain)/ I always get it better right afterward/ When all the wrong impressions are said and heard/ How come I can never get the right words, I need to convey”,

5. Ice
A. negative
B. none
C. none
D. none
E. This song would be GREAT for therapy.  For one, it could be good for self-expression.  For another, it could be good to discuss how to cope with a person who does not accept an apology.  Here’s the chorus: “What I mean is, all I need is/ Just a little emotion/ Cause all I see is you not feeling/ And you're giving me nothing nice/ I tried to do you right, why'd you have to go and turn to ice?”.

6. Pretend
A. neutral
B. “prison in the body I’m living in”, “and when it’s the end/ Our lives will make sense”
C. very, very mild - “we had soda for wine”, “we had water in guns”
D. none
E. I can see a lot of people relating to some of the words in this song, especially those transitioning into adulthood.  Here are some examples from the lyrics: “Once in a while/ I act like a child/ To feel like a kid again”, “Wish I were a little girl/ without the weight of the world”, “It would be nice to start over again/ Before we were men/ I’d give, I’d bend/ Let’s play pretend”.

7. The Last Thing On Your Mind
A. positive
B. none
C. none
D. none
E. Well…I don’t like this line too much as this is not a good coping skill: “Don't think too hard, if you think it hurts that bad/ Don't talk about it”.  I do, however, like the rest of the verse: “don't let it get you down/ It's only one part, of the story/ Just let it go, don't let it bring you down now”.  So, on one had, this is a positive song, and on the other, we have some encouragement of negative coping skills…hmm.  I think this could be useful provided there’s a discussion of lines encouraging negative coping skills, and why those skills could be negative.  Overall, I do think this song would be better for self-expression than discussion, but it could be interesting to discuss what she means by saying “sing the last thing on your mind/ the last word on your breath”.

8. Second Go
A. neutral
B. “how many coffins before there’s a crown”, “how come you love me when I am ugly”
C. none
D. Now this song seems to have spiritual elements to it, although that’s my own interpretation.  You be the judge!
E. I would possibly use this song in therapy.  I think it has good elements in it, especially for self-expression, with lines such as “No matter the weather there's never a break/ Conquer a ladder then slip on a snake/ Cried 'til my river turned into a lake”.

9. February Air
A. neutral
B. none
C. none
D. none
E. While I think this song has some potential for self-expression (as many, many songs do!), I would not use this in therapy.

*10. Face Up
A. positive
B. none
C. none
D. none
E. This is another one that would be GREAT for therapy, especially for those feeling hopeless who needs some kind of hopeful song stuck in their heads…  Here’s the (very inspirational) chorus!: “The times you don't wanna wake up/ 'Cause in your sleep it's never over when you give up/ The sun is always gonna rise up/ You need to get up, gotta keep your head up/ Look at the people all around you/ The way you feel is something everybody goes through/ Dark out, but you still gotta light up/ You need to wake up, gotta keep your face up”, and one more line that I really, really like is: “How come you concentrate on things that don't make you feel right”.  Yes, if I were working in a psych setting at this time, I would absolutely, absolutely use this song in therapy.  I highly, highly recommend this song.  You should read all of the lyrics!

11. Lions!
A. positive
B. “Death is a charade” (in chorus), “edge of sorrow’s blade” (1st verse) could be triggering for some
C. none
D. nothing specific, but does mention crusades in 1st verse as symbolism
E. I think this would be a very interesting song to use in therapy.  I think this line specifically would be interesting for discussion: “You don’t have to feel safe to feel unafraid”.  Some other interesting lines for discussion: “Lions make you brave/ Giants give you faith”, “I'm learning how to get up off my knees/ and all it takes is practice”, and some inspiring lines: “Be steady on your feet/ No matter the trouble you meet”.  I really think this song could be a good discussion about how to cope emotionally with different circumstances.

12. Quiet
A. positive
B. none
C. none
D. none
E. I would not use this song for discussion.  This appears to be a positive song about a relationship, however, so if you are looking for a song like that, I would recommend looking up the lyrics to this song!

*highly recommended for therapy!

So of course, I would recommend this album for therapy, and especially would recommend the song Face Up.  Really - go read those lyrics!

0 comments: