BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Sara Bareilles - Kaleidoscope Heart


Artist: Sara Bareilles
Album: Kaleidoscope Heart
Release Date: September 7, 2010
Genre: Pop, Singer/Songwriter

 

Okay, it’s time for a 2010 album!

I was awaiting this album and very happy when it was released.  I’m sure you’ve heard at least one of the 3 songs released on the radio from this album: King of Anything, Uncharted, and Gonna Get Over You.  Of those 3 songs, I’ve used 1 in therapy as an option for self-expression and wanted to use another, but was unable because of a trigger word in the song specific to the population I was working with.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe that song (“King of Anything”) was ever actually chosen.  I think that has to do more with age than anything (Sara Bareilles’ songs strike me as ones that appeal most to those in their 20s and 30s).  I would like to point out that my parents whose exact ages will not be revealed (although I’m sure they wouldn’t object to me telling the world they’re baby boomers – it’s hard to hide that fact) do like her music and will sing along with her songs on the radio.  They’re unusual cases, though, in terms of music preferences, as they do tend to prefer new music and not the stuff from their teens and 20s.  They actually listen to new music on the radio more than I do!

But back to the album - I do think it has a lot of therapeutic value.  Bareilles expresses so much vulnerability and anger with positivity, strength and hope, which I think is a really important quality for songs to be used in therapy.

And… I am returning to my other format for reviewing songs!:

[The format:

A. Is the general tone of the song positive or negative?
B. Are there obvious triggering words/themes in the song? 
C. Mention of violence/drugs/sexual content?  Language not acceptable at some facilities?
D. Religions or politics in song?
E. Are there any positive/possible therapeutic themes in the song?]

So, starting with….

1. Kaleidoscope Heart
A. positive
B. “blood”
C. none
D. none
E. This is very short song that I think would be hard to use in therapy, but it’s very inspiring.

2. Uncharted
(one of my all-time favorite songs!)
A. positive
B. It may seem small, but “scars” is mentioned in the songs (“no familiar scars”), and that was the trigger word that prevented me from using this song with one group (individuals who self-injure).  I would always consult with your facility about this as they may have different guidelines.  There is nothing else I see in the song that could be triggering, but again, that always depends on the individual.
C. “hell” in bridge (“they sure as hell made me”)
D. none
E. I think this song is SO GOOD for therapy.  SO good.  I only wish I could’ve used it!  I think nearly everyone can relate to the theme of an area of their lives being “uncharted” and finding a way to deal with that reality.  I’m sure you’ve heard this song, but I’ll include some lines that provide some positive examples of how to deal with this, such as self-reliance and taking action: “won’t just hang around/ like you’ll show me where to go”, “I won’t go as a passenger, no/ waiting for the road to be laid/ though I may be going down/ I’ll take in flame over burning out”, and general positive advice that could be discussed: “compare where are to where you wanna be and you’ll get nowhere”.  What I like most is that the confusion and pain is very clearly expressed in the song, but at the same time sounding so hopeful.

3. Gonna Get Over You
A. positive/neutral (very upbeat)
B. none
C. none
D. none
E. Of course I love the line “I’ll be alright/ Just not tonight”.  I probably would not use the song in therapy, but I do like that it both validates feelings of being unable to get over someone and provides positive messages and hope about the situation at the same time.

4. Hold My Heart
A. positive/neutral
B. none
C. none
D. none
E. I probably would not use this song in therapy, but might provide it for self-expression.

5. King of Anything
A. positive
B. none
C. none
D. could spark discussions about religion or politics, but it’s unclear who she’s singing about
E. Another song that would be fantastic for therapy (and I’m sure you’ve heard it before)!  Unfortunately, I don’t remember it ever being chosen in my groups…but it’s very empowering.  I really think this could be good for topics such as: standing up for yourself, bullying, boundaries….  Also, in trying to be my own devil’s advocate, I do think that it’s possible that this would not be beneficial for those who are extremely defiant, although that always depends on what’s behind the defiance – and the way Bareilles deals with the person wronging her and how the person wronged her would probably be very beneficial to discuss.  Here are some good lines from the song: “So many things I’d say if only I were able/ but I just keep quiet and watch the cars that pass by/ You’ve got opinions, man/ We’re all entitled to ‘em/ But I never asked/ So let me thank you for your time and try not to waste anymore of mine/ And get out of here fast” (coping by not retaliating in the moment – is that right?  In what situations would it be better to speak up?), “Who cares if you disagree/ You are not me – who made you king of anything?/ So you dare tell me who to be/ Who died and made you king of anything?” (empowerment), “All my life I’ve tried to make everybody happy while I/ Just hurt and hide waiting for someone to tell me it’s my turn to decide” (I’m sure a lot of people can relate to that statement).
*on a side note – this song is very difficult to sing, so I wouldn’t recommend it in karaoke

6. Say You’re Sorry
A. neutral
B. Another one that caught me on the trigger words: “cut” and “bleed” (“paper-cut tigers starting to bleed”).  Again, these may not be considered trigger words in other facilities, but it’s good to be aware of them.  By the way, I absolutely would’ve used this song in therapy if it wasn’t for those words.
C. none
D. none
E. This is another one that I would love to use in therapy.  I can’t imagine there’s a person in this world that hasn’t felt wronged at some point in time and didn’t receive an apology that they felt they deserved.  It’s unusual to find a song (and a good song at that) that so directly addresses that.  I think this song is great for emotional expression, and possibly discussion about how to handle a person who doesn’t apologize for their actions.

7. The Light
A. positive
B. none
C. none
D. none
E. This is a beautiful love song, but I would not use it in therapy.

8. Basket Case
A. negative
B. none
C. none
D. none
E. I wouldn’t use this song in therapy unless brought in by a client.

9. Let the Rain
A. positive
B. very minor, but worth noting anyway - “drowning soul”
C. none
D. none
E. I’ve considered using this one in therapy, and I think it could be helpful.  There are some very validating lyrics, such as the first few “I wish I were pretty/ I wish I were brave” and here are some more examples in the chorus “I want to change my mind/ I want to be enough/ I want the water in my eyes/ I want to cry until the end of time/ I want to let the rain fall down/ Make a brand new ground”.  From those last lines, I also see this yearning for changing one’s situation, which could evoke great discussions.  I also think it could be a great encouragement and validation for those who feel numb and find it difficult to express emotions.

10. Machine Gun
A. neutral
B. See title!  Also, saying to the other person “maybe nobody loved you when you were young” could bring up strong emotions in those listening.
C. “getting high off of saying why you don’t adore me”. and the title.
D. none
E. I think this song, in spite of its title, could definitely be used in therapy.  I see it most in regards to someone feeling bullied or picked on by someone else.  After describing the person who is trying to bring her down, she asks for the end of this fight with the lines “Will you try it once/ Give up the machine gun”.  I am always for songs that provide validation for feelings and then provide positive ways of solving problems, and although the problem isn’t solved per se, there is an implicit positive way of coping with the actions of the other person by asking them for peace rather than fighting with them.

11. Not Alone
(another of my favorites!)
A. positive
B. none
C. none
D. none
E. I think this song would be primarily good to use for self-expression.

12. Breathe Again
A. positive
B. “fire inside still burns”
C. none
D. none
E. I probably wouldn’t use this in therapy, but I think it could be helpful for someone getting out of a relationship, and I particularly like that the end of the song repeats “I’ll breathe again, I’ll breathe again”

13. Bluebird
A. positive
B. none
C. none
D. none
E. Again, a pretty song, but I wouldn’t use it in therapy.


In conclusion, if you have clients who would like Sara Bareilles, I would highly recommend this album.  I think it’s fantastic and has many different themes that would be great for therapy!

0 comments: