BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Yellowcard - When You're Through Thinking Say Yes

Artist: Yellowcard
Album: When You're Through Thinking Say Yes
Release Date: March 22, 2011
Genre: Pop Punk





Back when I was 18, I loved Ocean Avenue and Way Away by Yellowcard, and one of my friends even got a signed guitar when it was tossed to him at a Yellowcard concert (at least, that's how I remember it).  I never actually owned an entire album by them, but decided their new one was worth a try. 

I can't say it's my favorite, or a standout amongst pop punk albums.  However, it does have some songs on it that I think are great for therapy.  There's a typical collection of love/relationship/heartbreak songs, but I think some could be used for other purposes as well.

First, The Sound of You and Me seems to relate to really any relationships.  It could describe the relationship between friends, parent/child, siblings, anything!  It does seem to be a bit confused, though.  I'm honestly confused with the song having both the lines [I've never been more ready to move on] and [Let me back in, love me again], but I'm sure that could relate to someone with conflicting thoughts about a relationship.

The second song, For You, And Your Denial, is interesting to me in terms of possible therapeutic use.  I really think someone could use this song to express anger toward someone else as the chorus says [Hate me all you want/I'll be okay/I'm half a world away/Letting you go now], but I also think it could be used by someone to describe their own denial toward something as has lines such as [Can you hear the crowd/They all go wild/For you and your denial/Watching you break down].

Another song, Life of Leaving Home, I think could be really relatable to those in treatment who miss home, or have been in the system for a long time.  However, the song does relate leaving home to following a dream, so there could certainly be a disconnect there.  It could certainly be inspirational to someone needing to leave their current situation for something better.

Lastly, See Me Smiling is fantastic.  It really deals with the loss of someone close, and coping with that loss, with lines such as [All I can do is keep you closer now/Cause I know you're somewhere out there looking down/Wherever you are/I hope you can see me smiling].

I do think there are more songs on the album that could be used therapeutically (Be The Young is one that comes to mind), but that's all I'm reviewing today!



0 comments: